History of the DETROIT Market
EASTERN MARKET THEN & NOW
Today, it is a focal point of many downtown events.
SHED 2 – Built 1898
SHED 2 is considered as the main gate from Detroit’s past into the present.
The term “Shed”was used back in the early 1800s when local farmers raised a shed to sell their produce for shelter against the elements; early temporary structures were flimsy. To accommodate the large increasing agricultural commercial industry in Detroit, several sheds were erected over strategic areas throughout the city.[Source Historic Preservation archieves]
WHY CALLED SHEDS?
In the early years there were several such farmer produce sheds or structures scattered throughout the city of Detroit. But, as the farming age was transformed from agriculture to industrialization, the sheds also experienced several transformations during this time as sheds were slowly being replaced and modernized by the changing architecture and expanding urban renewal.
The term origin of the term “shed” has since faded from public memory; few city individuals even know the true meaning of the word “shed” except those few who represent an unbroken chain of generations who make the annual pilgrimage to the good old historic Detroit Eastern Market’s annual events such as Flower Day. Note SHed 4 is only as connection tunnel between Sheds 3 & 5.
The current Eastern Market is the lone survivor of originally several designated markets that was located throughout Detroit in the early years(1800s). [Source Detroit Preservation]
SHED 3 THEN & NOW
Note similarities between the original structure built in 1922–not much has changed [Source Detroit Preservation]
ONLY THREE SHEDS ARE NUMBERED
Some visitors to the market notice that there are a total of only three Shed designation numbers with large orange numbers on the roof tops. But, the numberings are for only Shed 2, Shed 3, and Shed 5?
(Shed 1 located at “southern end” of market – Built 1891-demolished 1967; current parking lot)
(Shed 2 located at “southern end” of market – Built 1898-victorian double arched architecture)
(Shed 3 located at “southern end” of market – Built 1922)
(Shed 4 located at “mid-market” of market – Built 1938-more of a connecting cooridor)(Shed 5 located at “northern end” of market – Built 1939)
(Shed 6 located at “northern end” of market – Built 1966)
(Sheds 2, 3, & 5 are obvious, Sheds 1, 4, & 6 are not)
WHERE ARE SHEDS 1, 4, & 6
I don't see any signage on top any buildings?
Shed 1 was located just south of the where Shed 2 stands today. Shed 1 was originally built in 1898 then, almost 40 years later it was torn-down in 1967 due to the expanding freeway systems. So officially Shed 1 no longer exists—it is currently the parking lot.
(Shed 1 no longer exists – “southern end” of market – Built 1841; demolished 1967)
Shed 4 does not resemble any of the large structured sheds and displays no mark or shed name on its frame. Shed 4 is the free stand-alone open-air connecting structure that sits between Sheds 3 and 4. Ist is currently painted a rust orange it is considered a walking path between Shed 3 and Shed 5.
(Shed 4 is located “mid-market” – Built 1938)
This structure also display’s no name or title. It is located at the northern end of the market. It is simply referred to as the section with the tall roof-top or high canopy, “you know, the area upfront with the raised sidewalk.”
(Shed 6 is located at the “northern end” of the market – Built 1966)
LINKS TO GET YOU STARTED:
Market History - Original Historical Article
iPhone All Devices